Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Photo Review:
Jay Reatard and No Bunny at the Ottobar















Photos by Chrissy

After a 2 hour power nap, the result of an all day free beer hook up at the Fells Point Festival, I stumbled on down to the Ottobar Saturday just in time to catch No Bunny and Jay Reatard. Immediately as I walked into the club, No Bunny's lead singer was dangling next to me only to have his red tighty whitey's pulled down in front of my face.

Now, I'll go ahead and say that I'm not the type of dude that enjoys male butts in my face. But, just two songs in and I was already sure I had a new favorite band for the evening. From here on out, their show provided me with exactly what I'd expect based off this totally NSFW arrival to the Ottobar. The photo set below is SFW, by the way.

No Bunny didn't invent the wheel in regard to any type of genre, but they sure as hell put on a full set of raunchy garage rock splendor. Think King Khan crossed with Nodzzz, and mash that up with some Replacements, and voila... you've got No Bunny. The band was awesomely rowdy, parading around the set in a sloppy yet effective manner. Their LP Love Visions is certainly worth your time, as is catching these guys next go around.

Jay Reatard took the stage to a properly prepped crowd, and quickly ripped through a set full of all the goods. Dude is a prolific songwriter, having already poured out a full on catalog of singles fit for those that have been in the business for decades. His live set lacked the bells and whistles of production and added glitz, but made up for it with pure guitar riff power. His songs sounded great as a three piece, and he was probably more deserving of playing an encore than the crowd made it sound with their weak and awkward concluding applause.

1 comment:

Brett said...

Apparently his band just split up today, and he was quoted saying this:

"Band quit! F*%$ them! They are boring rich kids who can't play for ahit anyways ... Say hello to your ugly and boring wifes oops I mean lifes guys suck it."

Umm, I kinda take back every good thing I said about him in this review... No Bunny still ruled though.